15 replies to this topic

#1 gill_t

gill_t

Standard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:13 AM

Hi...

For over a week Marley (? 3 or 4 yrs old) has been breathing at least 70 resps a minute. Last week i was given antibiotics (he did spend one night in the bets on oxygen) baytril 0.4ml twice daily. He has had this for a week now with no real change in breathing rate. He seems happy enough, is eating (weighed 417 when really ill at the beginning but is now 460)drinking lots of poo !. Anyway i have another vet appt at 11.15 - guess i am just asking if anyone else has experienced this or if they have any others.

The room is not hot...(he lives with 2 others - no symptoms in any of the others)...he is not sneezing, no wet nose. He is very boney for a chin - although has improved a bit.

I think they are planning to x-ray him tomorrow

any advice greatly recieved.

gill
x

#2 Diane

Diane

Pastel

• Administrator
  • 6,087 posts
  • Chinchillas:Hubby says too many!!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:47 AM

Fast breathing is almost all ways a sign of something wrong but if the baytril hasn't helped I'd be inclined to think he might need a different treatment. Hopefully they will sort something today
Posted Image

#3 jaina_organasolo

jaina_organasolo

Pink White

• Members
  • 684 posts
  • Chinchillas:1 - Spooky Staypuft

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

Hope you got on ok at the Vets.

I wouldn't rule out URI just because your Chin is still showing signs. I'm currently nursing two and just about to start treating a 3rd incase. They have been on the following -

Ted - week 1 - 0.3ml Baytril once a day, 0.3ml metacam once a day (plus pro biotics and support feeding. Week 2 - 0.3ml Baytril twice a day, 0.3ml metacam once a day for 10 days. Today - 0.4ml baytril twice a day, 0.3ml metacan and Bisolvon once a day (plus support feeding and pro-biotics). He's also just had a nasal swab done to see if we can find out what the issue is.

Bill - week 1; no symptoms vet ruled him ok, no noise on lungs. week 2 - started sneezing - 0.4ml Baytril twice a day, 0.3ml metacam. Ten days later he still had slight sneezing, so he will be treated the same. He is also being supportive fed.

Lucky - started excessive sneezing yesterday. Vet ruled his chest clear but we are going to treat him anyway incase.

So what ever they have does seem to be improving (slowly) but it's taking way longer than a week.

Mine have no visible discharge (but they tend to wipe noses) and in the case of Bill and Ted their sneezing is now silent. I think we are getting there...slowly. You are so lucky your Chin is eating fine. Mine have to be supplemented to keep the weight on them.

Proud Mum to:Spooky (Wilson White)
Sleep Well Leroy & Stitch, Lucky, Bill and Ted Always in my heart

#4 gill_t

gill_t

Standard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

well...thanks for the advice guys - appreciated x

Been to the vets and he has had x-rays...

Results are enlarged heart....and pleural effusion. Now have to give him frusemide twice a day (am waiting a call to see if this can be just the once else he will be weeing all the time !) and an ACE (called Fortekor). I have been advised to keep on with the antibiotics for a while to overlap.
Oh n still got the biolapis stuff to go in the water.
He hasnt been sneezing or wet nose so think it is prob heart and lung related....he uses all his accessory muscles to breathe.

The tablets i am frustrated with....frusemide has to be cut into 8 (have managed 4 bits so far but any further and it will be powder !) and the other i have to cut into 5!! (have bought a pill cutter - 7.95!!)

Anyway Marley other than all this is still his normal self apart from breathing at least 70resps per min. Am hoping this works...have to ring the vet on friday with an update.

xx
gill

#5 gill_t

gill_t

Standard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

what is the bisolvon ?? (just wondering not heard of it )
x

#6 jaina_organasolo

jaina_organasolo

Pink White

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

I hadn't heard of it before today. it's an anti-mucous drug; so it's pretty much a decongestant from what I understand - it eases the breathing.

cutting up the pills sounds like a pain and a half! Hopefully now you've got a diagnosis then your Chin will improve

#7 Diane

Diane

Pastel

• Administrator
  • 6,087 posts
  • Chinchillas:Hubby says too many!!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

Don't want to worry you but I was under the impression frusemide should not be given to an animal weighing under 4 kgs :unsure:
Posted Image

#8 gill_t

gill_t

Standard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

Am sure he said it was ok for chinchillas and i have googled chinchilla and enlarged heart/pleural effusion and read they had diuretics - he is only on a small dose one eighth of a 20mg tab. Hes already had an injection of it earlier.

#9 jaina_organasolo

jaina_organasolo

Pink White

• Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

I think I read on Chins and Hedgies of a chin on Fortekor. It might help to join on there too- its quite an active forum.

#10 gill_t

gill_t

Standard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

cheers - will google it and have a look. x

#11 Claire D

Claire D

Beige

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Chinchillas:A Manor Full

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

Furosemide can be given to chins - you can actually use the injectable solution but give it orally so it is worth asking the vet about doing that. Furosemide should be given at an accurate dose so I would not be happy trying to cut up a tablet - its too difficult to do precisely (as you have already mentioned).
I've also used an ACE inhibitor (again, in solution form) on a chin with success.

Good luck - please feel free to contact me if I can help any further.

All posts, photos, and articles are copyright Davidson Chinchillas and must NOT be used without written permission.

#12 gill_t

gill_t

Standard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

excellent !! - i will ring tomorrow and see if i can get that (im guessing it will just state for iv use ?) - frusemide does not come in oral liquid form then ??.... Do you know what the ACE in liquid form was called ??

thanks
x

#13 Claire D

Claire D

Beige

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Chinchillas:A Manor Full

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

Yes Furosemide does come in liquid form for oral use - you can get a vet prescription to be dispensed from a normal pharmacy - you pay for the vet to write the prescription & the drug on top. I tried the oral solution but it was not tolerated so we used injectable Lasix orally - once the chin was initially stabilised I discussed on-going treatment with my vet & I titrated the Furosemide dose twice daily depending on the clinical condition of the chin.
The ACE inhibitor I used was Prilium - it comes as a vial of powder & is then reconstituted with water.

I'm happy to go into further detail if you contact me. :)

Edited by Claire D, 05 October 2011 - 09:42 PM.

All posts, photos, and articles are copyright Davidson Chinchillas and must NOT be used without written permission.

#14 gill_t

gill_t

Standard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

did you have much success with the drugs???

#15 gill_t

gill_t

Standard

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

I have messaged you. thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users