• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sushicake

sushicake

Beige

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

Can anyone help, i brought my second chinchilla yesterday, from a pet shop, she is mostly white mosaic. She seems to have a yellowy/ brown tinge to her fur around her bum and Im not sure if its related to urine or her feaces?
I didn't notice until today as i left her to settle in.
She does have her own cage although my first chin Riku, has allreaddy jumped up at it to see whats going on, i hope he didnt scare her :(
She was ' health checked' by the pet shop, her eyes, ears and nose are fine. and she is quite lively considering she has only just getting used to her new cage. I just gave her a wipe with a bit of warm wet paper towel and the towel went yellowy, but the stainig has remained. her poo is solid and normal. and i cant see any urine stains in her cage. i really cant tell if it looks like browny yellow poo smudge or a we stain and im not only worried about her but also the health of Riku. I have seen her drink once since yesterday, and she wont stop stuffing her face with timothy hay.
My last chinchilla was from a breeder, and i find this easyer as i can get background info, unlike at the petshop where the info was very limited.
So any advice would be very much appreciated. thankyou

#2 ~*Ori*~

~*Ori*~

Beige

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Chinchillas:7 Lovely Fuzz Balls!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Can you post a pic? It will help me help you.
fuzzylovez[/center]

Posted Image

#3 sushicake

sushicake

Beige

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

This pic is after ive wiped it, and it looks darker than the pic shows

Attached Files

#4 ~*Ori*~

~*Ori*~

Beige

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thats just a Urine stain. Females get that from spraying.
fuzzylovez[/center]

Posted Image

#5 ~*Ori*~

~*Ori*~

Beige

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

This is a pic of my pink white Volt. When she sprays a lot she will get the same stain.

Posted Image
fuzzylovez[/center]

Posted Image

#6 sushicake

sushicake

Beige

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

Oh thank god! i have been so worried!
She had only been in the pet shop in the show cage for 3 days before we bought her, and i guess shes just over marking!
We never got this with riku.
She is 20 weeks old, and after a month we will put thier cages side by side so they can have company.. can i let them have supervised play times together? I dont plan on letting her breed. Possibly when shes a year and a half and ive done my research!! Or is that mean? Sexual tension and all!
i have uploaded a nicer pic so u can appreciate her, instead of her bottom!

#7 sushicake

sushicake

Beige

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

here she is, her name is Little Miss Sakura

Attached Files

Edited by sushicake, 05 January 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#8 sushicake

sushicake

Beige

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

and ty so much :)

#9 ~*Ori*~

~*Ori*~

Beige

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

Males dont spray. :P

If you did want her to breed dont put her in the cage with him until she is over 8 months or more because females can get pregnant when they are younger...and giving birth can kill them.

I am not a fan of breeding but I am not judging. Just be sure If you do breed them do a lot of research. It is not a easy thing. :)

Edited by ~*Ori*~, 05 January 2012 - 09:16 PM.

fuzzylovez[/center]

Posted Image

#10 sushicake

sushicake

Beige

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

oh i did repost it, it should show up now. And im unsure if too, Im doing an animal care course and i work in a cattery so i get the whole over populated animal thing. We will have to see in the future, im thinking of maybe castration on the guy, but the stress could be too much i might jus let them be outside of cage playmates ^^ ( once shes over a year old) and keep a close eye on them

#11 ~*Ori*~

~*Ori*~

Beige

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

That could work just dont let him mount her. And he will try a lot! :P She is pretty Ling is my Sliver Mosaic.
fuzzylovez[/center]

Posted Image

#12 jaina_organasolo

jaina_organasolo

Pink White

• Members
  • 684 posts
  • Chinchillas:1 - Spooky Staypuft

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

I know of someone whose chin got pregnant in seconds at playtime - its not worth the risk imo. If you want them to play together, please get him neutured. There are too many wanting homes. The biggest Chin rescue in the UK has now stopped taking in animals and they still have over 100 needing homes :-(

Also, I would never advise getting a new chin and putting them straight in the same room. It is advisable to quarantine in separate rooms for around 6 weeks. There are many things that can be hidden and triggered from stress. A friend of mine got a second chin and moved him straight in. In 4 weeks he suddenly developed Ringworm which can hide for weeks. Its highly infectious to Chins and humans and is a pretty gross disease to treat.

Sorry if Im having a bit of a lecture, its important for people to take care.

Enjoy your new arrival.

Proud Mum to:Spooky (Wilson White)
Sleep Well Leroy & Stitch, Lucky, Bill and Ted Always in my heart

#13 ~*Ori*~

~*Ori*~

Beige

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

Well said jaina That is how I feel as well But I could not find a way to word it with out sounding very rude. :)
fuzzylovez[/center]

Posted Image

#14 Nube

Nube

Black Velvet

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • Chinchillas:2 - Ricochet and Chiwi

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

Lots of good advice above. I only have girls, but given how fast the bigger one used to manage to attack the smaller one, even with me sitting right there, I'd say defo get your boy castrated. As long as its a chin-competent vet, he should be fine, and it's just too risky that he'd get to her despite your best efforts (let's face it, he's going to be very motivated!)

Your little girl is beautiful though, congrats! :-))

Willing slave to
Ricochet and Chiwi

#15 sushicake

sushicake

Beige

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for all the advice. like i said before i don't knoww if i will breed her and i was asking on advice about playimes. Im fully aware about unwanted pets from my job. and id keep the litter if she did.
Where is the rescue centre for chins? I live on an island and it took me months to find a chin for sale last year. I considered buying one from mainland but was worried about stress of the journey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users